2015 Race Flotation Safety Requirements
Paddlers MUST use one of the following:
- Coast Guard approved type III PFD.
- Durable orally inflatable PFD
- Lifeguard type rescue torpedo attached to paddle craft and tethered to paddler.
- Durable inflatable PFD attached to paddle craft and tethered to paddler.
- Paddlers must leash him/herself to paddle craft at a strong anchor point.
- Coast Guard approved Type III PFD aboard craft.*
*This is the State of Hawaii’s recommendation, but we “advise” that if this method is chosen, the PFD should be tethered to the paddler.