Kona Brewing Co – Maui Jim Waterman Challenge
What? Multi discipline (ironman style) Waterman’s event with 5 different disciplines in 5 races.
Where: Kailua Beach and Flat Island. Wave riding is encouraged.
When: Saturday, Feb. 25, 2017. 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Male: Open, 30 – 39, 40 – 49, 50 – 59, 60+
Women: Open, 40 – 54, 55+
Junior (U13, U16 & U19) any gender. U13 and U16 Free Entry
Maui Jim Co-ed relay: Open
Equipment: We will not provide equipment, but will allow ample time in-between events to trade out your equipment.
Registration: Kailua Beach Park Boat Ramp. Opens at 7:00 – 12:00.
- Race only one event for $30.00.
- Adults Race as many events as you like for $40.00 if you. Pre-register online before midnight February 23rd.
- JUNIORS (18 and under) are $15.00 with pre-registration, unlimited racing. (U16 is free)
- Pre-register online before midnight February 23rd at www.flpregister.com
- LATE REGISTRATION WILL COST AN ADDITIONAL $10.00
OVERFLOW PARKING will be available to race participants at Lanikai Elementary School. It is encouraged to use this parking as Kailua Beach Park can get crowded.
Individual races are comprised of 5 different, stand-alone events. Participants can choose in which races to participate, and can race as many as they want. Racers will earn cumulative points for each event entered (see point scale in appendix A below), overall points will determine the Waterman/Woman Champions. Participants can drop one of the 4 paddling events but must compete in the swim. The races will be spread 1.5 – 2 hours apart with a 15 min staging period between each. The 5 disciplines and approximate start times will be in the following order, but you should be at the race course early since start times will be adjusted based on turnout:
- 8:00 a.m. Swimming
- 9:30 a.m. Surfski
- 11:00 a.m. SUP-12’6”
- 12:30 p.m. OC-1
- 2:00 p.m. Prone Paddleboard 12’
- 3:00 p.m. Maui Jim Co-ed Relay
Approximate race lengths:
- for Adults and U19:
- Swim (~300 meters).
- Surfski (~3 miles).
- SUP (~2 miles).
- OC-1 (~3 miles).
- Prone Paddleboard (~2 miles).
- For Juniors (U16 and U13):
- Swim (~150 meters).
- Surfski (~½ mile).
- SUP (~< ½ mile).
- OC-1 (~½ mile).
- Prone Paddleboard (~< ½ mile).
- Prizes: Top 3 male and female open, overall points for the combined individual disciplines = free entry to the Maui Jim Ocean Shootout (Formerly known as Maui Jim Oceanfest) – https://raceroster.com/series/2017/11384/maui-jim-ocean-racing-series on June 03 and 04, 2017 in Kaanapali, Maui. Each individual discipline will also be recognized.
2. Maui Jim Co-Ed Relay (5 disciplines in 5 different legs of the race). Each team must have at least 3 people on a team with 5 maximum. Adult teams must have at least 1 female or junior 16 years or younger on the team. Or a team can have all male participants if it is comprised of all juniors. This race is for fun and not for points:
- Approximate length of each discipline:
- Swim (~200 meters)
- Surfski (~1 mile)
- SUP (~half mile)
- OC-1 (~1 mile).
- Prone Paddleboard (~half mile).